Using WhatsApp to promote your business and personal brand.
Whatsapp originally started off in 2009 as an Instant Messaging app to keep in touch with the people in our lives. The app as at that time was created to have a one-on-one chat conversation with the people whose numbers are saved on your phone number and also have a WhatsApp account to their numbers.
However, over the years, WhatsApp has grown to be much more than we ever thought it will be and the platform is still evolving to provide more solutions to its users. As time went on, WhatsApp introduced the WhatsApp Groups, Voice and Video Call, Status, Conference Call and other amazing features that have made the App indispensable.
No doubt, WhatsApp has now become an integral part of our lives and businesses. Little wonder why it always look as if the world is being paused whenever WhatsApp experiences an outage.
The evolvement of WhatsApp
As time went on, WhatsApp became a platform people use for marketing purposes. The reason for this isn’t far fetched; WhatsApp is perceived by most users as something personal so because of this engagement rate and attention span are high on the platform (marketers would naturally jump on a platform with high engagement rate and attention span). Ever wondered why the engagement rate on your WhatsApp status is higher than that of Facebook and Instagram (if there are same number of audience on all platforms)?.
This is because of the perception that WhatsApp is personal so we think we would get more relevant and personalized content on WhatsApp than Facebook, Twitter and other social media platforms. Brands are now taking advantage of WhatsApp to engage with their customers and even provide their service right there on the App – little wonder why several banks have launched their ‘WhatsApp Banking’ services. These days, there’s almost practically no business that can’t be done on WhatsApp; Ecommerce, Banking, Retail Business, Media and Marketing, Fashion. Real Estate, you name it. WhatsApp can now also be used to aid all levels of marketing which are.
WhatsApp Key Statistics.
WhatsApp Key Statistics
1.5 billion users in 180 countries makes WhatsApp the most-popular messaging app in the world – 0.2 billion more than stablemate Facebook Messenger
One billion daily active WhatsApp users
450 million users of WhatApp Status, eclipsing Snapchat Stories
Three million users of WhatsApp Business
65 billion WhatsApp messages sent per day, or 29 million per minute
Two billion minutes spent making WhatsApp voice and video calls per day
55 million WhatsApp video calls made per day, lasting 340 million minutes in total
85 billion hours of WhatsApp usage measured May-July 2018
WhatsApp acquired by Facebook for $19 billion in 2014.
(Statistics source: BusinessOfApps) https://www.businessofapps.com
WhatsApp launched the WhatsApp Business App in 2018 to help companies better connect with their customers and establish an official presence on WhatsApp’s service. With the WhatsApp Business App, small companies can set up their WhatsApp Business profiles by filling out information like a business description, email, address and website. The app has features that can enhance business interactions like auto messaging, business profiles, labels and other amazing features.
Benefits of the features of WhatsApp Business.
Some of the benefits of the features on the WhatsApp Business App include:
1. Business Profiles For businesses that want to easily be seen and discovered by customers, Whatsapp Business App allows users to create a business profile with helpful information for your customers like your address, phone number, business description, email address, and website.
2. Smart Messaging Tools Save time with the new Whatsapp messaging tools. One of the messaging tools that come with the WhatsApp Business App is “Quick Replies”. The tool lets you save and reuse messages you frequently send so you can easily answer common questions in no time.
Another tool is “Automated Messages”. This allows businesses to set an away message when unable to answer so customers
know when to expect a response. You can also create a greeting message to introduce your customers to your business.
3. Messaging Statistics The messaging statistics feature of the app allows businesses to be able to review simple metrics behind the messages being sent. You can access important metrics such as how many of your messages were successfully sent, how many were delivered and read etc.
4. WhatsApp Web Aside from using the App to send and receive messages from customers, you can also send and receive messages with WhatsApp Business on your desktop or laptop making it more accessible for business especially those with customer support team. (These 4 points were gotten from Medium).
How to use WhatsApp Business for marketing.
Some ways to use WhatsApp for Marketing;
1. For Internal Communication: Best thing about WhatsApp is that almost everyone uses it and it does not require any training. Another advantage is, you don’t need to explicitly ask your team to check WhatsApp as they are anyway hooked to it. You can form a WhatsApp group for your team and share instant messages for which an email is not necessary. Its fast and fun to use.
With WhatsApp Web, it becomes even easier to type messages using a web browser.
2. Using WhatsApp for Customer Communication: Here is a sales tip – If you do your follow-ups on WhatsApp instead of direct phone calls, you will get 40% more response. No one appreciates phone calls from unknown numbers but we are more likely to respond to personal messages.
3. Using WhatsApp for Customer Support: WhatsApp could be a great tool for customer support simple because of its wider reach. Your customers would always prefer to send you a message over WhatsApp rather than calling a helpdesk number or raising a ticket.
4. Using WhatsApp for Marketing and Promotion: “WhatsApp is the new SMS. We’ve realised that WhatsApp can be a very strong marketing tool. It is a good one-to-one platform for direct communication with our listeners”. You can use WhatsApp to send images, audio files, short video clips of your products and text messages to users across the world. Unlike SMS or Email, there are less restriction on the format and delivery chances are higher.
This doesn’t mean that you should spam your customers with WhatsApp messages. Ideally you should use WhatsApp to connect with existing loyal customers rather than trying to
reach new users. Everyone hates messages coming from unknown numbers.
If you really want to get a good response, you will need to come up with the creative ways to promote your business using WhatsApp.
It should be however noted that while you can use WhatsApp to support your existing business that already has a structure, you can also start and build a new business on WhatsApp.
The best reason to use WhatsApp for business is that many of your customers are probably already using it. More than 60 billion messages are sent through WhatsApp every single day.
If your customers and prospects are young, they’re more likely to be comfortable using messaging apps for their day-to-day communication.
Driving Traffic to WhatsApp: If you’re looking at using WhatsApp as one of your marketing funnels or making money with the app by helping other people market their businesses on the app then you must care about driving traffic to your WhatsApp. Getting people (your target audience – T.A) to have your WhatsApp number and you have theirs so that you can send them communications whenever you want to.
Ways to drive traffic to your WhatsApp.
There are different ways to drive traffic to your WhatsApp, some of them are:
1. Using your WhatsApp link: Your WhatsApp link is a URL that people can click on and they’ll be led directly to chat with you on WhatsApp. A WhatsApp link looks like this – https://wa.me/2348027086396843 (that’s mine – when you click on that link on your phone, your phone will automatically open WhatsApp and direct you to chat with me). You can create your own WhatsApp link by removing my number from the link above and replace it with yours eg https://wa.me/2348023xxxxxx (your number must start with 234)
You can then spread this link on social media, adding it to your bio or running Social Media campaigns using the link. You could also spread the link within the app by leveraging on the WhatsApp groups you belong to.
2 Manually requesting people’s WhatsApp numbers: Personally when I go for events and I want to network with other people, I prefer to get their WhatsApp numbers and I make sure they get mine too. If the individual has a different numbers for phone calls and WhatsApp, I request the WhatsApp number alone and I’m good, this is because I know I can constantly be in your face every day on WhatsApp through my Statuses but I can’t call your everyday.
3. Another thing I do is to do competitions (on my WhatsApp) status that will make my WhatsApp contacts refer others to add me on WhatsApp.
WhatsApp Status WhatsApp Status allows you to share text, photos, videos and animated GIFs that disappear after 24 hours. In order to send and receive status updates to and from your contacts, both you and your contacts must have each other’s phone numbers saved in your address book.
The WhatsApp Status feature is an amazing feature for communication and marketing on WhatsApp because it has a high engagement rate.
Getting more views on WhatsApp Status
1. Always post the attractive stuff last: Have you realized that if you post a pic of a cute lady or guy on your status, you get lots of questions. The guys understand this.
Why is it so? Simple. People are curious. Some will even go to the extent to ask if she’s the one..lol.
This simple trick works like this: Post your other stuff first, then leave the “curios” posts last. You’ll realize that it’s the last post that becomes the thumbnail for your status. Keep your contacts curious. Post the cool stuff last
2 Post more in the morning and at night: The first thing most people do early in the morning is to check their phones. Typically when people are on their way to work, that’s the time they use to for keeping up with social media (WhatsApp chats).
WhatsApp Status comes in here as well. It’s usually in the mornings that you find people posting morning devotions and inspirational messages.
Use this as an opportunity to post those cool stuff on your status. Don’t forget point 1 above though.
Also at night when people are done with the day’s stress they retire to check their phones and keep up with chats they’ve not responded to during the day.
This rule might not apply to weekends as we naturally have time for our phones and social media during the day on weekends.
3 Post relevant info: Nobody likes to read or watch boring stuff. As much as it is your own space, at least try making it interesting. It’s like your own creative space to share your private life with the world. I don’t think you’ll want people to know the un-interesting side of your life.
The kinds of content to share on your WhatsApp Status:
1. Amazing stuff about yourself: This can be amazing picture of yourself, your family, how cute your kids are, travel trips etc. You can go personal here but make sure you draw the line on what you can post and what is too personal to be posted.
2. Your achievements: This can be your big or small wins or anything that builds you into an authority in what you do.
3. Customer testimonies, reviews and recommendations: This already explains itself. Customer testimonies and reviews will make potential customers trust you more and do business with you. This is excellent for building yourself into an authority and influencer in what you do.
4. Any other relevant content that make people trust you more.
How to create WhatsApp Business App. https://mashtips.com/whatsapp-business-register-setup-features/